Head of Online Marketing
thetrainline.com is the UK’s leading independent retailer of train tickets online. We sell tickets for all train companies on all national routes, with access to over 293 million fare and journey combinations. Since 1999, we have sold to over 4 million travelers, making over 20 million transactions, with over 8.4 million registered users. thetrainline.com is the UK’s 6th most visited travel website, and the 24th most visited UK e-commerce site.
We put our growth and success down to saving money for our customers, ingenious innovation and our people
– who are the best around. So we do our utmost to attract and keep them. We embrace our differences, act with integrity and honesty, celebrate our successes and reward well too. We believe in training, flexible working, substantial holidays and a lot more besides. It’s also about having fun, so we have social committees to make sure that we balance hard work with a bit of relaxation.
To continue to deliver year on year growth we are seeking talented, innovative and enthusiastic people to join our dedicated team.
The Commercial team consists of the product, marketing and sales & distribution teams reporting in to the Commercial Director. This role sits within the marketing team which is responsible for customer acquisition & retention for thetrainline.com using a wide range of offline & online marketing levers from TV advertising to search, social and CRM across web, tablet and increasingly mobile
Purpose of the Role
Reporting to the Director of Marketing, this key role provides strategic and operational leadership of online marketing for thetrainline.com; to meet stretching revenue and new customer targets.
• Develop and implement online marketing strategy across all channels (PPC, SEO, online display, affiliates, social media) and products (mobile, tablets, desktop)
• Ownership of £multi-million online marketing budget with responsibility for channel revenue and new customer targets, budget allocation and internal forecasts
• Lead and manage a team of three (Search Marketing Manager & Exec & Affiliate Manager).
• Champion digital marketing innovation within the business: influence product development and Executive teams to ensure thetrainline.com maximises the opportunities from developments in technology and channels
• Ensure a test-and-learn culture is embedded to maximise ROI through well structured campaign testing and attribution modelling
• Oversee search marketing comprising of PPC which is managed in house and SEO where we blend in-house and specialist agency resources
• Oversee affiliate marketing comprising networks and direct affiliates, and online display which is executed in-house and via a specialist agency
• Define online marketing & customer acquisition product requirements and roadmap within Agile development environment
Knowledge & Experience
• Excellent data analytical skills and ROI-performance orientation
• Demonstrable, hands-on track record in using online marketing methodologies and analysis to transform online channel revenue and customer acquisition
• Experience and strong understanding of the core disciplines of online marketing (PPC, SEO, affiliates & online display) in an online retail environment
• Experience of managing a team and a number of external specialist agencies
• Experience of managing multi-million £ online marketing budget
• Solid understanding of how online and offline marketing channels interact
• Evidence of influencing and challenging key business decisions at department level up to board level
• Minimum 2:1 Degree ideally in a numerate discipline or equivalent commercial experience
• Excellent understanding of web analytics (e.g. Google analytics, Hitwise)
• Excellent MS Excel skills
• Excellent understanding of web analytics (e.g. Google analytics)
• Google Adwords & PPC optimisation
• Strong technical knowledge of online marketing technologies and a passion for putting them to work – with a hunger to be the first to try new technology
• Excellent MS Excel skills
Benefits include: 25 days holiday, life assurance, pension contributions, medical & dental insurance (subject to qualifying periods)
Contact / Application Details
The advertiser has specified that Recruitment Agencies may NOT contact them regarding this position.
Please e-mail a covering letter and CV explaining your suitability for the job to email@example.com