User Experience Designer
The Role – UX DESIGNER
Specifically, you will play a key role in the production of visual designs for new developments to our websites and other customer facing systems and applications. Our projects demand the highest level of creative design and execution, combined with passion and skill in working with both technical and non-technical team members. You will work in an agile (inspired) development environment and be comfortable working with colleagues on and offshore.
You’ll be part of the business team that owns the ‘front end’ of the site and all the ecommerce systems and tools used to merchandise, publish and sell on the site. We are a team of enthusiastic ‘development product owners, content merchandisers, information architects and designers’ – we come from a mix of backgrounds and fit nicely between stereotypes of marketing and IT!
This role will best suit an individual who thrives and smiles under pressure, is well organised, pragmatic, can manage issues, decisions and stakeholders and most importantly, puts our customers first. You need to be the type of person that is passionate about design for great websites and for whom bringing them to life is obviously a must!
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
Reporting to the Senior Marketing Manager, Web Development, and your responsibilities will include:
• Putting our customers first – ensuring developments to our websites and systems are to the highest design standards and demonstrate excellence in customer experience.
• User Centred Design – you will be very comfortable with the philosophy of and activities undertaken in user centred design – qualitative research, usability testing, creating low and high resolution wireframes and prototypes, card sorting etc.
• Visual Design - producing consistent and compelling concepts and designs to dramatically improve the user experience, with the ability to lead and drive the design process.
• Being a brand guardian – establishing design standards and guidelines, and ensuring that designs are in line with our online brand guidelines and usability standards.
• Understand the importance of Search Engine Optimisation, accessibility, scalability and technical feasibility considerations in the design process.
• Relationship management – strong team player with the ability to build relationships across all levels and deliver confident stakeholder pitches.
• Is comfortable in a delivery focused, fast paced environment and thrives and smiles under pressure.
• Uses a strong understanding of the online world and constantly scans the market to generate new and better ways to build and optimise our websites.
Key competencies and behaviours
• Creative flair with the ability to create consistent and compelling visual designs.
• Liaising and influencing at all levels of management, both internally and externally. You should be a great ambassador for Tesco with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Being consistent in your views, decisions, ways of working and your efforts to build strong relationships with your colleagues.
• The successful candidate will have a tenacious can do/will do mentality. Whilst being personally robust and willing to challenge the status quo you will work closely with other team members and must be able to ‘bring people with you’.
• Creative, analytical and pragmatic decision making – you will be able to provide recommendations to create a compelling customer experience.
• You will have a passion for learning and all things digital! If you’re someone that loves surfing the web and learning what and how websites and apps have been built and designed, you’re made for our team!
• On behalf of the business and customers, you will have experience of the following aspects of web design, development and operations:
o Visual Design – Expert in creating visual concepts and designs to create excellent customer experiences, in close collaboration with the Product Owner and Information Architect.
o User Centred Design – Strong experience working with user centred design methodologies throughout the design process from research to end-user testing.
o Information Architecture – Experience working with information architecture and interaction design techniques.
o Optimisation Tools - Use of multivariate testing and web analytics to support and optimise designs.
o Search – internal product search, faceted browse, visual search.
o Mobile Design – experience of mobile web and mobile app design.
o Ecommerce Merchandising - price, promotions, rules editors, content and image management.
• Ideally you will be comfortable working on both large scale IT projects as well as site optimisation through continuous improvement in an Agile (inspired) development environment.
• Solid technical understanding – You will need to be technically confident and have a keen understanding of the importance of creating technically sound design that exploits advances in technology to enrich the user experience.
Key Skills/ Experience and Qualifications required
• 2:1 Degree
• At least five years professional work experience in a senior design role on leading websites
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills are essential
Contact / Application Details
The advertiser has specified that Recruitment Agencies may NOT contact them regarding this position.
Please e-mail a covering letter and CV explaining your suitability for the job